Comparison of Hospitality Exchange platforms
Here is a factual comparison table of some hospitality exchange projects. This is by no means a complete list, but it’s covering the ones that are often considered an alternative to couchsurfing.
Colors are biased towards our values (e.g. advertising or corporation model are in red).
- CS — Couchsurfing — “Share your life”
- HC — HospitalityClub — “Bringing people together”
- BW — BeWelcome — “Open your door to the world”
- WS — Warmshowers — “A community for touring cyclists and hosts”
- TR — Trustroots — “Travellers’ community for sharing, hosting and getting people together”
05/2011 (for-profit corporation)
|2000||02/2007 *||1993 (list);
2005 (website) *
|12/2014; initial talks started 2013.|
|Legal status||US C Corporation||No legal status||French non-profit association||US Non-profit 501(c)(3)||UK Non-profit Foundation|
|Community||Very active||Not active||Active||Active||Active|
|Members (active and non-active)||15M (10/2016)||792K (09/2017)||104K (9/2017)||101K (5/2017)||27K (9/2017)|
|Hosts||400K active (2.6%) (10/2016)||24K (23%) (9/2017)||53K (52%) (9/2017)||5K (20%) (9/2017)|
|About development||Ruby on Rails, React. Small paid team.||Custom PHP. Stalled for many years.||Custom PHP. Two volunteer devs.||Drupal. Until 2017 volunteer team. Since summer 2017 paid development done by Upleaf.||NodeJS, AngularJS. One core dev, plus a few volunteers.|
|Browse by map||No||No||Somewhat||Yes||Yes|
|Mobile apps||Android, iOS||No||No||No||Android|
|Mobile friendly site||Yes||No||No||Yes||Yes|
More about our values
We believe pure sharing platforms should be run by non-profit legal entities, with free software. See also the Trustroots manifesto.
- Wikipedia: Hospitality service
- Couchwiki: a brief history of hospitality exchange networks
- Kasper: linguistic origins of hospitality
Comparison of Hospitality Exchange platforms by Trustroots Foundation is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Based on a work at https://ideas.trustroots.org/comparison-of-hospitality-exchange-platforms/.